1. Rub the butter into flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs then add the sugar.
2. Add half the egg and mix until the pastry comes together, you may need to add more of the egg
3. Roll the pastry until it is approx. 3cm thick, wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
4. Roll the pastry out between two layers of cling film, remove the top layer of cling film and gently place the pastry (cling film up) into a buttered 28cm tart tin. Press into the edges and cut the top of the pastry on the edge of the tart tin, remove the cling film and place in the freezer for at least 10 minutes.
5. Blind bake the pastry for 15 minutes at 180C
6. Remove the baking beans and brush over the pastry with a little of the left over egg. Bake the pastry for a further 2 minutes.
7. Whisk the lemon juice, eggs and lemon zest
8. Heat the cream and sugar until simmering
9. Slowly whisk the cream into the eggs and leave the mixture to rest for 10 minutes
10. Remove the “foam”
11. Pour the mixture into the pastry case
12. Bake at 110C for approx. 30 minutes – The tart should have a gentle wobble.