1.5 tsp baking powder (can be omitted for gluten free)
125g sifted icing sugar
Lemon polenta cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and base-line a 23cm round springform cake tin
2. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Combine the dry ingredients.
4. Add some of the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mix, beat well then add an egg.
5. Continue adding the remaining dry ingredients and eggs in this way beating after each addition.
6. Zest the lemons and stir through the mixture.
7. Meanwhile make the syrup by heating the lemon juice and icing sugar together in a small pan. Once the sugar has dissolved in the juice remove from the heat and set to one side.
8. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the pan.
9. Prick the top of the cake all over with a cocktail stick and pour the warm syrup over the cake.
10. Allow to cool before removing from the pan and serving.
11. Delicious with clotted cream or crème fraîche.